5.01.2008

The Ringing

The heat wasn't too oppressive, in fact, there was a little bit of a breeze. The funny thing though, is that we didn't even notice.

"FRAG OUT!"

The grenade explodes, throwing up the big cloud of dust, not the fireball you see in movies. A 105mm tank round blasts its target with another deafening roar. 5.56mm shell casings are bouncing off of my helmet from the guy next to me, and my shell casings are hitting the guy on my right. We're spitting lead with apocalyptic fury. The .50 cals are rocking, the 240Bravos are chattering, the shotguns, the pistols, the mortars. It's an orgy of firepower.

Destroyed vehicles and scarred wastelands are once again disturbed by our mindless onslaught, and there we are, getting gloriously lost in the insanity of it all. Squeezing triggers and belching out metal, stopping only to reload. Our ears are ringing in ridiculous octaves and still we're throwing flashbangs and firing explosives and spitting out small arms fire.

The best part of it all, is that no one is shooting back at us.

Just a group of frustrated, overworked, tired, homesick, angry motherfuckers letting loose with everything we got. Relentless. Chaos. Sheer animosity. Beautiful.

I side-arm a grenade and hit the dirt while everyone laughs at my feminine throw. I blast away with my M4, switching to burst and chewing up anything downrange that looks fun to shoot. I hopped into the gunner's seat of one of our MGS Strykers (the ones with the 105mm tank gun on 'em) and blasted away at a couple car hulks. When I fired the first round, the whole vehicle bucked so much that the screen I was looking at kicked me in the face. It was awesome.

With the 240, I squeezed the trigger and held it down, spraying left and right with a nice, passionate ten second burst.

By now, I've fired almost every weapon the Army has to offer. When the fun was over, I reloaded my magazines and piled back into the truck, completely satisfied. Our female interpreter didn't seem too pleased. Apparently she can't relate to the pure joy that man gets from explosions and guns and all things rude. Amidst the fury of it all, our commander could be seen walking behind the crowds, with a cigar in his teeth and an ear to ear grin.

Hey, this is what it's all about. Part of me wanted to shoot off every last round we had, but we aren't done yet. No matter, consider this a refresher, because the amount of firepower we pack is astounding. So if shit hit the fan, we could let loose with epic wrath.






Tubular.

17 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Uhmm, Ah . . . the Mad Minute? Feels good, don't it? A good natured show for the locals, was it?

    A 105mm long barreled cannon on a rubber tired vehicle? Son, you're lucky to still be upright, nevermind contused. I knew tankers in Shermans that were retroed to 155mm and they fell over sideways if they tried to shoot on the move. Even on a pad they were afraid they were going over backwards if they fired straight frontal.

    WTF??
    Anonymous said...
    Oh, well, if it makes you feel good, never mind the expense. I'd rather spend the money on my local library, of course, but what the hell.
    Anonymous said...
    Screw the cost!
    sampling the wrath of God on occasion is what I pay my taxes for!
    Just wish I could've watched.

    ...somehow i think the next trip to the range with the 9mm aint gonna be quite as much fun.

    Steve_ronin@yahoo.com
    Earl said...
    Epic Wrath Rules! Nice demo, practice and motivation. What a way to celebrate being bad to the bone.
    2sbct mom said...
    To the first anonymous:

    "never mind the expense" WTF??? The word clueless comes to mind. I did need the laugh though, thanks.
    _________________________
    I'm glad you got the opportunity to shoot some rounds. Too bad they didn't end up in an insurgent's body.

    Stay safe.
    Vixen said...
    You make me wish I had a gun! As for the 'expense': glad to see that money being put to use. Rock on with your bad selves!
    Vixen said...
    You make me wish I had a gun! As for the 'expense': glad to see that money being put to use. Rock on with your bad selves!
    BigD said...
    Suspect,
    Things that go boom in the night have come a long way from your dry fire "BANG BANG" days in basic and to quote you pretty much directly, "it sounds like the work of mortarmen. Who's dissing the Charlie's now?"

    Great song if you don't pay too much attention to the lyrics. The bell is eerie and so is the message in the song.

    "No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."
    (John Donne Meditation XVII)

    But, I'm guessing you already knew that. God(s) bless you Suspect until you are safe & sound at home.
    Red said...
    Hang the cost. I want y'all well practiced when you need to use that firepower. Same reason law enforcement here hits the range whenever they can. Well, that and it's a whole lotta fun ;)

    I had to laugh at the description of your intepreter. I can think of at least one female who would love it.

    And as for the ringing ears.... hearing protection is your friend whenever you are able to use it.
    Anonymous said...
    "never mind the expense"... Freedom ain't free, is it? Without our military, we wouldn't have libraries to spend money on.

    I'm one of those females who would LOVE to do what you do... I threw a grenade in basic and got hooked. They don't let girls do what you do, though. Too bad. :)

    Take care,
    Lynda
    membrain said...
    Sounds like a shitload of fun. And your ears ring for days. Fun with machine guns. Ah the good old days.

    Suspect I just can't wait for the day that you get to Kuwait and they start going through your shit and they find your Dragonball Z suit. What the fuck!?!
    Kev Brown said...
    A beautiful description! It must be the ultimate stress reliever, a great excercise for getting rid of that pent up anger, it must feel great after you have spent hours upon hours waiting around in sheer boredom!
    Aprillini said...
    Like TOTALLY tubular, dude. lol
    David M said...
    The Thunder Run has linked to this post in the blog post - From the Front: 05/03/2008 - News and Personal dispatches from the front lines.
    SSG IHATETRADOC said...
    I know I am jealous. I sit in a freaking cubicle on Redstone Arsenal and waste away. I never get to have any fun.
    Anonymous said...
    Follow-up to the Mad Minute exercise. I checked. Somehow, they grafted a 105mm, long barreled, rifled tank cannon onto that dune buggy.

    Did you fire that 105 straight forward? Here's what I found out about your MGS;

    http://www.geocities.com/amphib_n_beyond/Wheels.htm

    Read past the Pirahana stuff.

    HTH
    Anonymous said...
    I think I'm falling in love.

Post a Comment