5.27.2008

Free Bird Part One

We packed the last of our shit up and tossed duffels and rucksacks into the backs of five ton trucks and played the waiting game on the gravel.

Sprawled out at the airfield and shot the shit til the sun went down, and soon the helicopters touched down in shifts, loading us up. The wind from the rotors damn near knocked me over, same as it always does, and we squeezed inside. I found myself staring at a wall of duffel bags, thinking about how bad it would suck if it all avalanched on me.

The bird began to lift off and I flipped the bird towards the back ramp and shouted, "FUCK YOU, WARHORSE, FUUUUUCK YOOOOOU!", barely audible over the roar of the helo.

Warhorse disappeared underneath us and dropped us off at our next transient destination.

My friend and I ducked out of a detail, cocked our hats on our heads, and went for a walk, proudly showing off our stripped weapons and making it known that we are going home.

Render salute. Greeting of the day.

"Going home, Sir!"

The officers from other units sure love it. The look on their faces isn't one of pure hatred or anything.

Phase One complete.

14 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    I'm actually breathing a little better now.
    Lynda
    themorethingschange... said...
    What she said.

    ~P~
    Anonymous said...
    Chillin' the bubbly and ya-what Lynda said!!
    CB
    Anonymous said...
    Damn man, I am excited for you.

    Jackson

    oh, and uh...what Lynda said.
    Arli said...
    AWESOME! Safe travels.
    And what Lynda said, too!
    Anonymous said...
    I agree with Lynda too.....

    Shari
    Claire said...
    I am praying for your and Toy Soldier's safe arrival here in the States! I can't wait to hear the good news that you are both home!
    Joanne said...
    Hey, Suspect. I like what someone else posted...come on home. Thanks for telling it like it is, for those of us who need to hear it. Hope that your gift heals what needs healing for you as well.Please don't stop writing ..
    Take good care
    Wolfgirl
    my own hero said...
    Well a long time ago I said that we might pass eachother in flight. Im glad youre coming home. Im now gearing up to go. Not long now. Cant be too specific though, you know. Get home and drink as much as possible. I know I will be in a year or so. Good luck to you in your real life suspect. BTW welcome back to PT.
    BigD said...
    Wow...I leave you for five minutes and what happens? You jump on a helo and head out of Dodge! To the anonymous who busted all of our chops for getting so excited a few weeks back...are we allowed to break out the ETOH, the party hats and the Depends now? Suspect, I am so happy for you and I can't wait to hear that you are home at last. In the words of Temptation Eddie Kendricks, "Keep on truckin' baby!" You rock my socks.
    Sisu said...
    Yeehaw!
    Strykeraunt said...
    Great new!! There is a feeling of magic in the air in Washington State.

    I can't imagine how you feel but sure understand the overwhelming relief of your family!

    Take care, and an advanced WELCOME HOME.

    Thank you for keeping it real.
    LT Nixon said...
    Careful Suspect, I'm hot on your heels. Maybe I'll run into you at the shithole known as Kuwait.
    David M said...
    The Thunder Run has linked to this post in the blog post From the Front: 05/28/2008 News and Personal dispatches from the front lines.

Post a Comment