3.10.2008

More Fine Dining

In Harajuku, I followed narrow streets and bizarrely painted buildings to what seemed like some sort of crazy drug-addled arthouse. The only thing though, is that drugs are supposedly next to non-existent here. I find that hard to believe. After five minutes of channel surfing through their TV channels, I am convinced that they are ALL covert potheads, because the ONLY thing that would add any logic (or explanation) to these TV shows and commercials is a healthy helping of Bob Marley Feelgood Spinach.

This crazy Jamaican-Meets-Korean Neo Pop Art And Mescaline building led to a restaurant, the kind where your table has a grill or whatever inserted into it. I experienced Japanese Pancakes, which are in no way like American Pancakes.

You mix up bowls of all kinds of crazy concoctions and pour them onto the hot black thing, and go through an arduous process of preparing your own meal. When it's finally done, you take that first clumsy chopstick bite and go, "Damn, that's pretty good!"

You eat about half of your share when you notice something purple and frighteningly familiar on your plate.

Goddamn octopus. Sneaky bastard found his way into my meal.

This is the point of no return, you can't unsee that slimy fucker, it's too late. Your meal is forever changed, because you KNOW that this unnatural monstrosity has tainted your food. I shoveled bite after bite into my mouth, chasing it with orange juice. No sense in going hungry, after all, the only way...is ALL the way.

Fucking octopus.

11 Comments:

  1. Red said...
    LOL!!

    That stuff is everywhere over there apparently.
    Earl said...
    Rubbery but edible, it is all food, and all that acid and bacteria in your guts can handle it, once your mind gets back to the art or the strange peoples.
    themorethingschange... said...
    Like others, I check on you every day...

    I know you're on vacation and it's only right to give you time away from your blog as well...

    But I gotta tell ya what a delight it is to find something here in the morning!

    To Explore = To Live

    Keep it up!

    ~P~
    Anonymous said...
    It's all good...Uh, yeah! I am so glad you are doing what you're doing! It sounds like balm for the soul. Don't judge wether we find your stuff interesting by how many commets you get; when things are chill there are less responses motivated by concern. It is all good.
    Aprillini said...
    Couldn't you show us some pictures from your trip? Pretty please?
    Anonymous said...
    Yeah Aprillini!

    I think there's a bit of the photojournalist in Suspect and I bet he's done a real good job of photographing his explorations...

    Can't wait to see them...
    Sisu said...
    I like octopus. It's the squid with its variable texture of phlegm to rubber that gives me the willies....yikes. Sounds like you're having fun, glad to hear it.
    Office Lady said...
    I have to agree with what "anonymous" said about not wanting you to feel that we find these recent blogs less interesting because there are fewer comments.

    TOTALLY to the contrary, it's more like as I read these, I soak up every single word...every turn of a phrase, just so that I can vicariously enjoy "my" time in your city!

    So, just as much as I want to thank you for your other blogs, I want to thank you for unselfishly sharing this time "away" with us.

    Thank you Suspect. Be well!
    membrain said...
    Great trip so far Suspect. Thanks for the ride. Enjoy.
    themorethingschange... said...
    DUDE!!

    I got curious about Harajuku...

    So I googled it...Holy Cow!! what a place for one such as yourself!

    Please tell us you went to Yoyogi Park and snapped some pics of the Harajuka Girls!!

    So NOT my picture of the Japanese people!!

    Wow....
    ~P~
    Anonymous said...
    My, Harajuku does look cool! Put Burning Man on your list...

Post a Comment