3.03.2008

De-Loused In The Chill Room

On a whim, from sheer boredom itself, mixed with a little bit of curiosity and the lack of the desire to leave the hotel, I found myself wandering up to the top level lounges.

It was quiet, so quiet that you're almost afraid to speak beyond that level just above a whisper, where your voice isn't quite natural but still amiable. The bartenders worked with delicate precision mixing drinks, setting glasses down so gently as to not even make a sound once they made contact with the counter.

I tested out the famed Santory whiskey. If you've had whiskey, you've had them all, that's my opinion. I've never been a liquor snob though, so take that with a grain of salt. After that, I ventured to the other lounge, and decided to try out sake, since I'd already crossed sushi off of my list of things to make me vomit.

This devil liquid goes down like water. I eyed my glass suspiciously, like a worthy opponent, and tried to guage its abilities. I sipped warily, pausing to observe the effects as they accumulated. As I waited, I'd stare out the windows, at the night time skyline of Tokyo, letting my mind get blown over and over again.

This lounge was quiet, calm, and downtempo as ever. I was just about to leave when a pianist and her bass playing counterpart showed up and laid out their sheet music. These people have this kind of chill music down to a science. It's the kind of thing you'd never let someone catch you listening to (if you're me), but once you're in an environment like this place, you open up and welcome it, and congratulations, you've just been blown away again.

I slowly sipped two jars or glasses of sake as I talked shop with one of the bartenders. He said my Japanese pronunciation was really good (overstatement, I'm sure) and we talked about the various places in the States that he visited, almost all of them being areas I never ventured to. When he asked me how I learned the Japanese that I did know, I wrote down the name of the company that does the language CDs and explained that he could probably get one that teaches from Japanese to English. This made him pretty happy, which in turn made me happy. These little interactions make the world go round if you ask me.

I continued to chill, sip, listen to the music, get lost in thoughts, stare out the windows, watch the employees and the patrons alike, and I realized that this was one of those unknowns that I had been searching for. No matter what, I have this particular place to relax in. For the time being, I've got my own spot.

I'd been searching from district to district for something I couldn't place, only to find that there was something right here in my own hotel.

13 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    I love this post. I had a spot in Korea just like the one you describe. Cool.
    Lynda
    Red. said...
    So you finally found it. Enjoy it.
    Anonymous said...
    Good. Now this is part of you. They can't take that away.
    Ky Woman said...
    Maybe you just needed to slow down some and catch up with yourself??? Quiet time for reflecting and just...absorbing. Glad that you found it. And sooo glad that you allowed us in on it.

    Enjoy the rest of your days there.
    Sisu said...
    Very cool. Glad you found it. Really enjoyed the sushi post as well...the wasabi moment was worth the price of admission!
    Anonymous said...
    "....opened mind for a different view, and nothing else mattered"
    Peace
    CB
    Jessie said...
    It was quiet, so quiet that you're almost afraid to speak beyond that level just above a whisper, where your voice isn't quite natural but still amiable. The bartenders worked with delicate precision mixing drinks, setting glasses down so gently as to not even make a sound once they made contact with the counter.

    Damn it! Now I'm imagining Sarah Michelle Gellar in that move Irresistible, when they all eat the vanilla fog. *grumbles*

    And true happiness is usually found in the same block you're in. It's just a matter of finding what you're missing in your own skin first.
    Anonymous said...
    I found a place like that while I was at Ft. Ord. It was called "Kings Cross Station". Very restful, calm, and soothing. Stopped looking after that.

    Have a great life, Suspect.

    Cheers!
    ChrisP
    themorethingschange... said...
    humm interesting, sort of snuck up on you did it?!!

    cool, do it again!

    AUNT SANDY:

    check out An Unexpected Light by Jason Elliot, pub 1999...

    Ryan is sounding a LOT like him, never met a stranger, eager to experience the world, unassuming first person style...

    I found the book at 2nd hand book store, Amazon also has it...it's one of the few books I've re-read..

    ~P~
    heartmindsol said...
    ...right there in your own hotel...right there in yourself. Remember that spot. It is the secret to serenity.
    Anonymous said...
    "...This made him pretty happy, which in turn made me happy. These little interactions make the world go round if you ask me."

    Absolutely, positively, right-on, 100% guarandamtee you, ya got that right!

    ~P~
    Pharamond II said...
    Hey kid, I'm just a regular Joe (Joe-ette) who's thinking of you and wishing you and your buddies strength to get through this stuff. <3
    Anonymous said...
    weird

Post a Comment