3.12.2008

Closing

The past few days, we've had the looming knowledge of having to return soon clouding over us. We do all we can to look the other way, not let a damn thing rain on our parade.

We stay at a traditional hotel and sleep on mats. Paper walls. Yukata robes.

We check out Buddhists temples and incredible green gardens, shit that takes your breath away and makes you wonder just HOW the rest of the world, normal civilization, can suck so completely. Caverns so small we have to duck walk through them, candles illuminate Buddhists sculptures.

A large wooden wheel that you turn by pushing, walking the full circle with it. They say that turning this wheel once is the equivalent to reading the Bible. Something to think about when you ride the subway I guess.

A park, beautiful as ever, hosts the most random cats running around that I've ever seen. Everywhere you look, there was a cat just chilling out.

We went to the beach. The weather was just nice enough for a t-shirt, for once. We take our shoes off and squeeze sand between our toes, skip rocks, walk in the tide. Best fucking vacation ever, and in the back (and the front) of our minds, we know that it's all ending soon.

When I drink, I wake up the next morning, and I suck down vitamins and orange juice and food to replenish everything I pissed away the night before, so as not to lose any time. If necessary, I even take the hair of the dog to reset my overcompensating nerves. Can't afford to lose any more time.

I look out the window and see the most amazing skyline. In the lounge at night, as I chat it up with my pal Hide (Hee-Day), I stare out at the lights, sip hot sake, chew on salted peas, and clap for the pianist and bass player, even when no one else pays them any mind.

Every time I look at my watch, we're on a new day. Time started off dragging beautifully slow the first week. Now it's taken a snowball avalanche momentum that we can't fucking stop. Like pressing against closing walls. Where the fuck is C3PO and R2D2 to stop this one?




We've had enough rest for today. No time to waste. Time to go and enjoy this while we can.

Fuck Iraq.

11 Comments:

  1. Jessie said...
    Don't fuck Iraq. You'd never get the sand out of those hidden crevices.

    Am glad you're enjoying the vacation, of sorts, though. Buddhist temples, huh? And no Keanu Reeves starring as? Awesome, dude. Seriously.
    red said...
    You win forever for a Star Wars reference btw.

    I'm definitely jealous of this vacation. It's not a lot of time, to be sure, but it sounds like you are thoroughly enjoying it. lol at the cat park, even though I'm not really a cat person.
    Shari said...
    Glad you have had such a great trip...you deserved it! Too bad that the best things in life seem to be over much too quickly. But if anyone has can enjoy themselves and suck every last drop of enjoyment out of a place...my money would be on you! Enjoy the time you have left. Thanks for bringing us along on the trip!
    Strykeraunt said...
    Thank you for sharing your trip. I enjoyed every moment. I have never experienced a trip like you describe but have never been to Iraq either, so there is a balance of sorts.

    Take care
    Anonymous said...
    I'm glad you took the time to find those peaceful moments. They'll come in handy for the rest of your life. I know this is like the Sunday afternoon moment where you reailze you have to face Monday, but don't let it get in your way. Monday will happen on it's own. Just make sure the alarm clock is set. The rest will take care of itself!

    Aunt Sandy
    David M said...
    The Thunder Run has linked to this post in the blog post From the Front: 03/13/2008 News and Personal dispatches from the front lines.
    Ky Woman said...
    Cram as much into each 24hrs as you can. The memories will tide you over till short-timer days arrive. Then and only then will we all breathe a collective sigh of relief...

    Oh, and what they said, "Thanks for letting us ride along".
    Anonymous said...
    These are the memories that will keep you warm for the rest of your life. I'm so glad you took this trip. You're much wiser than your age...
    Lynda

    P.S. My chow chow would love love love the cat park. :P
    Anonymous said...
    Only a few more months...

    Sounds like you got a good rest. Well, less of the body, more of the mind.

    but definitely don't get hung up on how much leave you have left. It's kind of a buzz kill, ya know?

    I expect at least 3 more stories of drunken shenanigans before your done.
    rachel said...
    Listen to them, they're dying R2! Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough, it's all my fault! My poor Master. ~~~C3PO

    My dad has a few black and white pictures of the gardens there. Interestingly enough, the silver pavilion was created for a shogun that he might escape the violence and discord that were taking place in the capital. Somehow seems fitting in your case.
    membrain said...
    I was trying to think of some clever rejoinder but I think your Aunt Sandy said it the best.

    And yes, the cat park was the defining post moment for me and I'm not a cat person either.

    I hope you guys can squeeze every bit of fun out of this until the alarm clock goes off.

    Enjoy.

Post a Comment