7.06.2007

Soma Vacation

I vaguely remember stubbing my toe in the middle of the night a couple days before the exploding house debacle. Over time, my third toe has taken it upon itself to become red and swollen, and infected. Doesn't seem to be broken. The medics have jabbed it with needles and cut it open a little and drained and flushed it and all kinds of nasty Hostel type shit. Probably looks like squeezing hot sauce and mustard out of a grape. I never bothered to watch because I was busy gritting my teeth and finding my happy place. It's insane how much one tiny little goddamn toe can hurt.

I've had quite a gimpy walk because of it. They kept me back from missions to rest, and by rest, they meant "do details". I'd wake up in the middle of the night in complete agony, and all I could get was Motrin. Gee, thanks. Motrin and antibiotics.

Finally, when I had it worked on yesterday morning, I was given percocets for it. I sure welcome those little white beauties. It isn't just the foot that they've been taking my mind off of.

Now, don't get me wrong, I wasn't abusing the stuff, but I most certainly was taking advantage of the fact that it was prescribed. Calm, mellow, slightly out of it, and altogether cheery. Vicodins don't do that. Hydrocodone always made me feel like shit, in several ways.

Like the Soma vacations from the book Brave New World. Something to take the edge off of this. I figured fuck it, if I was going to be sitting around inside the wire all day, with all this time to think, I might as well be sure to take my meds. Take that furious throbbing out of my foot and leave me feeling good for a change. I can see how people could fall into a habit, especially out here though. Well, those nice little white pills won't be coming with me when I go back to work. Because when I go back, it's with my gameface on.

3 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Message from Grandma and all of us at home, "Stub another toe."

    Love you,
    BK
    Jessie said...
    Hey, enjoy those bad boys while you can. The little white pills at least let you chill out and not have a care in the world. Nice little summer vacation and oasis. Don't have to remember about the sand that never ends, and unlike the song, it's not half as interesting.

    At least you're not watching the godawful Dr. Who Christmas special. Bonus points for that.
    mamaworecombatboots said...
    Guess that is what happens when you have Both Feet in the Pits of Hell--you get your toe stubbed. Stay safe Suspect, stay safe.

Post a Comment